60th Anniversary Celebrations

20 September 2019 | General Interest


The Dominican Sisters founded St John’s Primary and Holy Name schools in Glenorchy as well as Holy Rosary school, Claremont. Years later they co-founded Dominic College and then Guilford Young College. Throughout they were, and continue to be, an integral presence in St John’s Catholic Parish in Glenorchy.

The Diamond Jubilee was celebrated with a special Mass, followed by refreshments on Sunday 15 September at St John’s Glenorchy. friends, old scholars and associates of the Dominicans attended.

  • 1956     Fr John Wallis wrote to twelve Orders of Sisters asking if they would found a school  for girls in the parish.

“We have a fine piece of land, 11 acres, and together with the men of the parish, we are getting it under cultivation – potatoes, tomatoes, lettuce etc. It is our dream that on this land in the heart of the parish, we will have someday our whole parish plant – church, school, convent, hall and presbytery. But first of all we want a school…”

  • 1958     The Dominican Sisters agreed to send a community of sisters to Glenorchy.
  • 1959     Sunday 25th January, three Dominican Sisters arrived in Hobart to an enthusiastic welcome from over one hundred Glenorchy parishioners at Llanherne airport and later from another large crowd at St John’s Parish, Glenorchy.

May the God who dwells beyond us

And the God who dwells among us

And God who calls us to dwell together

Bless us now and always.